Stacey's Space

In cyber-space, hitting the space bar, I needed a space. Welcome to my place in space....Welcome to Stacey's Space!

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

You Choose This Day

Last night, while laying in bed with my husband, I started thinking about the recent Terri Schavro debate. I basically told my husband, if you really think YOU can believe God for a miracle for me, great go ahead and try, but if after a couple of months, there isn't a manifestation...let me go home to be with the Lord. I don't want to be trapped in my own body, a slave to it's inability to do what I tell it to do. Or even not being able to think at all. What a sad life that would be for me.

OK, OK, before you think I'm not a "real" Christian, let me explain myself...I am saying, if I were in that predicament, I would feel trapped (if I could even feel). I am not the kind of person who can ever sit still. I often ponder that verse "Be still and know that I am God." I know He is God, it is the "be still" part that I am continually working on.

I don't think God meant for us to live as unproductive individuals. Jesus said, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel." Where can I go...if I literally cannot "go"? I don't think God meant for us to live with a unfruitful mind. He has given me "power, love, and a sound mind." He said he would give me peace beyond all understanding. I can say I definitely would not be feeling the peace if I were to lie in a bed for 15 years while the world around me continued to move and I could not partake in the call of God on my life.

You know what, I believe in miracles. I can't say I understand miracles. If God were trying to make a statement about life and the power of prayer, wouldn't Terri's life been a really great place to gain some major accolades? When Jesus performed miracles, they were always the most difficult and highly recognizable . Everyone knew who the madman at Gadera was, it was a high profile case, just like Terri.

I prayed for Terri to get a miracle in her body, but it didn't happen. I know lots and lots of people were praying for her...so I guess prayer doesn't cause miracles to happen. I think it has a lot more to do with the faith of the person who needs the miracle, than the faith of the one praying. I can't answer why some people get them and some people don't, but I do know that God is the author of life, but after life He's done His job. It is up to us because he has given us a choice. We have a choice to make in the situation, God said, "I set before you life and death, choose you this day whom you will serve." How can a person make that choice, it their brain won't allow them the ability to choose. If Terri truly had the ability to use her faith to live, wouldn't it have become manifest when they took out the feeding tube? I would like to think so.

Some might argue that Terri's call was to bring about a greater awareness of the value of life and in doing that she did fulfill the call of God on her life. I think it's ironic that we think we are fighting a battle for a "right to live" or a "right to die." It is not a right to live or die...it is a choice. It is making the choice while we are able to and saying "I will live for God." Wheter or not I gain national media attention as a result of my choice, yet I can stand up and say, "I will serve the Lord." And in the instance when you can no longer make that choice, I think you've made the choice.

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home