Stacey's Space

In cyber-space, hitting the space bar, I needed a space. Welcome to my place in space....Welcome to Stacey's Space!

Monday, April 04, 2005

Daycare Dilemma


I have been searching for a solution to the working mom syndrome, that is, finding a quality daycare provider that will do and be everything I can't, or even for that matter, won't be, even when I am home with my children. These are some of the things I have found to be true so far on this journey:


  • if while interviewing a home daycare provider she has the "time" to spend an hour on the phone with you explaining her child "care" techniques, she is talking more about them than actually executing them
  • here are some key phrases you can use when firing a nanny: "It's nothing personal but do you think maybe you could smile once in a while." "Watching the kids play is different than playing with the kids." "When I say "Just jump right in" I mean like, immediately, not next week."
  • We have a "flexible" schedule translates to "the kids sit in front of the television all day"
  • "You can pay me whenever is convenient for you" really means "I want my money now"
  • When a friend offers to "help you out" if you take advantage of that offer, you will undoubtedly feel like you are taking advantage of her.
  • If she sounds scary on the phone, she probably is.
  • Paying money to someone you don't know to watch your kids is better than giving money to someone you do know and feeling cheap.
  • Some nannies can live in your home, see your weaknesses, behold you in all your glory and still not feel very much a part of your life.
  • Finding someone to do better what you ultimately should be doing is next to impossible.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home