Stacey's Space

In cyber-space, hitting the space bar, I needed a space. Welcome to my place in space....Welcome to Stacey's Space!

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Time Takers



I am really trying to get away from the thinking, "I would do __________ (fill in the blank), if I only had a bit more time." This kind of thinking is dangerous because if truly followed, nothing would ever get accomplished.

For instance, if I have 10 minutes to spare and I haven't exercised yet today, I usually think, "I only have 10 minutes, that's not enough time to get in a real workout." So instead, I eat a bag of potato chips. Or the days I wake up late and think, "I only have 10 minutes, that's right about when I'll be getting into my prayer time, I might as well forget it." So instead, I turn on the T.V.

I'm reminded of Elizabeth Cady Staton, one of the most prominent proponents of women's legal and social equality in the 1850's. What if she decided because she had 7 children (unlike Susan B. Anthony who never married or had children) she just didn't have the time to study, research, write, and influence a nation. Where would I be today?

I think about Rosa Parks. What if she got on that bus, sat down in the back, because today she was already late for work, and she didn't really have the time to cause any trouble--much less start a revolution. Where would I be today?

I think about God. What if after giving Adam and Eve specific instructions which they willingly disobeyed, decided he didn't have the time to come up with a new plan, after all, he just finished creating the whole world and that took some planning. Where would I be today?

And of course, I think about Jesus. What if while walking through the crowd, felt the woman pull at his robe and instead of taking the time to stop and heal her, he pretended he didn't feel anything. Nobody else noticed she had pulled his robe. The disciples immediately thought he was crazy telling him hundreds of people had just touched him, couldn't he see the crowd. You can almost hear the urgency in their voices, their desire to keep on moving, and get to the other side. What if Jesus kept walking because he thought, "I would stop to heal her Father, but I have a plan to follow, I have things to do here, don't you know I need to save the world. I don't have time for this one woman." Where would I be today?

I'm glad I wrote this blog, but I'm also glad I took the time to tickle my two-year old when she walked up to the keyboard with a smile.

What will you take time to do--the time for something--that you don't really have enough time for today?

5 Comments:

  • At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe that can be "your" new thing ... asking the questions!

    Keep writing friend!

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger Nettie said…

    The time to take a really long shower- just cause it makes me feel good!

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger Guy Hutchinson said…

    Wow! I actually learned something!

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Nettie said…

    What did you learn?

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Career Guy said…

    Wow Stacey, you've had some really neat posts lately--I"m glad you've surfaced from your writing and research. That laptop must be very helpful. You know what phrase really upsets me? When someone says, "That would be a waste of my time", and they are talking about something that I think is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. I suppose I have "wasted" time, but I've still learned something from it, if only the fact that there was a better way to accomplish a task than I had thought to use. Is it possible to "waste" time?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home